How to Knit short courses
Evening classes with Nicki Merrall
Being Knitterly Studio, Loughborough, Leicestershire
To do the beginners’ short course you do not need any skills. You may have never knitted, have tried and struggled, or lack confidence with the basics.
To do the improvers’ short course you need to be able to cast on and off, knit and purl, as well as knit a square of garter stitch and stocking stitch.
Each short course comprises three classes. Each class takes place from 19:00–21:00 on Tuesdays. Book your course by choosing three dates from those offered. There is a maximum of five students per class.
How to Knit for beginners
Learn to knit during this short course for beginners. This course is suitable for you, whether you have never tried or have tried and struggled.
You will start by learning how to hold the needles and yarn and make the basic stitches. At the same time, you will start to recognize knitting abbreviations and follow simple written instructions. By the end of the course, you will know how to make simple projects from squares and rectangles.
“This was a fantastic course. Now I have the confidence to embark on a project to knit a blanket.”
Beginners class content:
- Holding yarn and needles while casting on, knitting and purling, and casting off.
- Making ribs and moss stitch from knit and purl stitches.
- Joining knitted squares.
- You have never tried to knit.
- You have tried to knit and struggled or you lack confidence.
How to Knit for improvers
Learn new skills during the short course for improvers. This course is suitable for you if you know the basic stitches such as knit and purl.
You will use the basic stitches to make some simple accessories. At the same time, you will gain confidence in using abbreviations and written instructions, as well as symbols and charts. After finishing this course, you will have the confidence to try other patterns.
“I was thrilled with the new skills I learned and am eagerly looking forward to the next course. Meanwhile, I will be tackling some projects on my own that I would not have felt confident to try before this course.”
Improvers class content:
- Reading a simple knitting pattern, measuring stitch and row tension, keeping track of rows, changing colour, and keeping edges neat.
- Increasing and decreasing, finishing your knitting and sewing seams.
- Knitting in the round for small projects.
- You can cast on and off, knit and purl and make squares of garter stitch and stocking stitch.
- Yarn for samples and projects.
- A pair of knitting needles (for beginners only).
- A summary of the techniques covered.
- Notebook and pen.
- 4.0 mm knitting needles (improvers only).
Knitting needles will be available to purchase.
The Being Knitterly Studio is in a beautiful Edwardian house in Loughborough, Leicestershire.
After booking, Nicki will email you details and directions, as well as ask about your previous experience.
How we are keeping Covid safe.
|choose a date for your class||
Tuesday 3 May 2022, Tuesday 10 May 2022, Tuesday 17 May 2022, Tuesday 24 May 2022, Tuesday 7 June 2022, Tuesday 14 June 2022, Tuesday 21 June 2022, Tuesday 28 June 2022