How to Knit short courses
Evening classes with Nicki Merrall
Evenings, dates to be confirmed
Being Knitterly Studio, Loughborough, Leicestershire
Each short course comprises three classes and costs £48.00. Each class takes place from 19:00–21:00. Book your course by adding each of your chosen three dates to the basket. There is a maximum of five students per class.
To do the beginners’ short course you do not need any skills. You may have never knitted, tried and struggled, or lack confidence with the basics.
To do the improvers’ short course you need to be able to cast on and off, knit and purl, as well as knit a square of garter stitch and stocking stitch.
How to Knit for beginners
Learn to knit during this short course for beginners. This course is suitable for you, whether you have never tried or have tried and struggled.
You will start by learning how to hold the needles and yarn and make the basic stitches. At the same time, you will start to recognize knitting abbreviations and follow simple written instructions.
By the end of the course, you will know how to make simple projects, such as simple scarves, bags, cushions, throws and blankets, from squares and rectangles.
“This was a fantastic course. I couldn’t knit before and my New Year’s Resolution was to learn. Now I have the confidence to embark on a project to knit a blanket.”
Beginners class content:
- Holding yarn and needles while casting on, knitting and purling, and casting off.
- Making ribs and moss stitch from knit and purl stitches.
- Joining knitted squares, finishing ends and adding a border.
- You have never tried to knit.
- You have tried to knit and struggled or you lack confidence.
How to Knit for improvers
Learn new skills during the short course for improvers. This course is suitable for you if you know the basic stitches such as knit and purl.
You will use the basic stitches to make some simple accessories. At the same time, you will gain confidence in using abbreviations and written instructions, as well as symbols and charts. After finishing this course, you will have the confidence to try other patterns.
“I was thrilled with the new skills I learned and am eagerly looking forward to the next course. Meanwhile, I will be tackling some projects on my own that I would not have felt confident to try before this course.”
Improvers class content:
- Reading a simple knitting pattern, measuring stitch and row tension, keeping track of rows, changing colour, and keeping edges neat.
- Decreasing, finishing your knitting and sewing seams.
- Increases, and mirrored increases and decreases.
- You can cast on and off, knit and purl and make squares of garter stitch and stocking stitch.
- Yarn for samples and projects.
- A pair of knitting needles (for beginners only).
- A summary of the techniques covered.
- Notebook and pen.
- 4.0 mm knitting needles (improvers only).
Knitting needles will be available to purchase.
The Being Knitterly Studio is in a beautiful Edwardian house in Loughborough, Leicestershire.
After booking, Nicki will email you details and directions, as well as ask about your previous experience.
How we are keeping Covid safe.
|choose a date for your class||
Tuesday 25 October 2022, Tuesday 1 November 2022, Tuesday 8 November 2022, Tuesday 15 November 2022, Tuesday 22 November 2022, Tuesday 29 November 2022