Sock knitting workshop for beginners
A one-day workshop with Nicki Merrall
10:00–16:00, Saturday, 16 March 2024
Being Knitterly Studio, Loughborough, Leicestershire
To do this workshop you need to know how to cast on, knit, purl, work in stocking stitch and rib and decrease.
Sock Knitting – one-day workshop
Knitwear designer and tutor Nicki Merrall will teach you to make top-down socks with a heel flap. This workshop is suitable for you if you have never knitted socks or you want to improve your sock-knitting skills.
In this sock knitting workshop for beginners, Nicki will introduce the standard methods of sock construction. Nicki will demonstrate different ways to knit a project with a small circumference in the round. You can try each method and then choose the one you like the best. You will learn the techniques required to knit a sock from the top down with a heel flap. During the workshop, you will knit either one small-sized sock and then start a second small-sized sock or an adult-sized sock.
- Looking at different methods for constructing socks.
- Measuring feet for hand-knit socks.
- Trying methods suitable for knitting projects with a small circumference in the round.
- Knitting a heel flap and turning a heel.
- Picking up stitches for the gusset and decreasing the gusset.
- Decreasing stitches for the toe.
- Grafting stitches together to finish the toe.
You will knit a small-sized sock, and then you can choose from starting a second small sock or an adult-sized sock.
You can cast on, knit, purl, work in stocking stitch and rib, and decrease stitches.
- 6-ply yarn for a pair of small socks.
- Patterns for small and adult-sized socks.
- Refreshments all day, a light vegetarian lunch and home-baked cake in the afternoon.
If you wish to start an adult-sized socks you will need to purchase some 4-ply sock yarn. After booking, Nicki will email you information about suitable yarns.
- Notebook and pen.
- 3.25 mm knitting needles of your preferred type for working projects with a small circumference in the round for the smaller socks.
- 2.5 mm knitting needles of your preferred type for working projects with a small circumference in the round for adult-sized socks.
- 100 g of 4-ply sock yarn for the adult-sized socks.
- Lockable stitch markers.
- Yarn scissors.
- A yarn needle.
Lockable stitch markers, knitting needles and yarn will be available to purchase.
The Being Knitterly Studio is in a beautiful Edwardian house in Loughborough, Leicestershire.
After booking, Nicki will email you details and directions, as well as ask about your previous experience.
Here is how we are keeping Covid safe.
Saturday 16 September 2023 at the Being Knitterly Studio, Saturday 16 March 2024 at the Being Knitterly Studio