Modular knitting workshop
10:00–16:00, date to be confirmed
Being Knitterly Studio, Loughborough, Leicestershire
This workshop is suitable for you if you are confident with casting on and off, knitting and purling as well as working in garter and stocking stitch.
Modular Knitting – an online workshop with Nicki Merrall
Learn the modular knitting technique with knitwear designer and tutor Nicki Merrall. This workshop is suitable for anyone who has basic knitting skills.
Modular knitting (also known as mitred or domino knitting) is a fun technique in which you knit one module (or shape) at a time so that each new module is joined to the previous one(s) as you knit it.
During the workshop, you will make a sample comprising several mitred squares. You will learn the basic technique by knitting your first square using one colour. Then you will learn how to pick up stitches and knit more squares. This time you can use more than one colour for each square. The decreases in mitred squares cause the stripes to bend around a corner rather than straight lines. You can try out different stripe patterns for your other squares before adding an easy border. It’s easy to create a knitted item that looks amazing but is relaxing to knit!
- Casting on using the knitted cast-on method.
- Knitting a mitred square in garter stitch.
- Picking up stitches from an existing mitred square to start a new one.
- Varying the basic mitred squares using stripes.
- Adding a simple border to your mitred square sample.
- Planning a project using mitred squares.
- You should be confident with casting on and off and working in garter and stocking stitch.
- Yarn for samples.
- A summary of techniques covered.
- Refreshments together with home-baked cake in the afternoon.
- Notebook and pen.
- 4.00 mm knitting needles.
- Double knitting yarn in at least three colours.
- Lockable stitch markers.
- Yarn scissors.
- A yarn needle.
Lockable stitch markers, knitting needles and yarn will be available to purchase.
The Being Knitterly Studio is in a beautiful Edwardian house in Loughborough, Leicestershire.
After booking, Nicki will email you details and directions, as well as ask about your previous experience.
Here is how we are keeping Covid safe.